[back off, Democratic avengers]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 17 14:09:07 PST 2000

Charles Brown wrote:

> Harris is the Republican Secretary of State and Florida Bush campaign
> co-chair who is refusing to accept the handcounts in Florida. She's a
> villainess who seems to have been sent from central casting--as someone
> noted here the other day, she bears a striking affinity to Cruella DeVille!
>
> (((((((((
>
> CB: Cruella DeVille is the villainess in _101 Dalmations_ , the Waltz Disney myth/movies.

Thank you Charles and Kevin.

I seldom read the front page of the paper, but we haven't tossed this week's papers yet and I find her picture was on the front page of the Chicago Tribune on Wednesday. As to Cruella, I've never seen the movie so I had never heard of her either.

We had a Secretary of State in Illinois who was author of the statement (in reference to his party gaining power in Springfield) "I can smell the meat acookin'." When he died they found 10s of thousands of dollars in cash and hundreds of uncashed checks in shoe boxes in his home. There were other glorious details. What do you expect from a Secretary of State (state or federal version)? In Illinois the post is in charge of issuing drivers' licenses. A bit of slime in the U.S. Senate some years ago made his mark as Secretary of State in Illinois. (Dixon)

Carrol