White Men & Freedom Essential to Capitalism

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Nov 18 06:09:59 PST 2000

Chris Niles posted:

>I basically agree with you on this point. That said, i don't think
>Doug missed the point, only that his point needs to be significantly
>qualified. i think it is true that in a very nasty, very competitive
>society, white men are indeed unwilling to give up gender and "race"
>priviledges. Their are still social, economic and poltical benefits,
>ranging from petty to significant to tremendous, accorded white men.
>The problem is that increasingly, white male priviledge, especially
>for poor and "middle-class" white men, is less about what you get
>and more about what does NOT happen to you.

Actually, for the majority of white men, perhaps, being white has always been a matter of what is _not supposed to_ happen to you. The metaphor of "wage slavery" captures this ambivalence: a white man is _not supposed to_ be a slave, but capitalism does _enslave him to a paradoxical freedom_: free from the means of production; free from lifetime & heritable personal subjection to the master class; and free to go bankrupt, become unemployed, and starve. In contrast, it took _a very long time after the emergence of capitalism_ for blacks, women, etc. to achieve this paradoxical freedom of wage labor; and many women & people of color in the world have not gained even this minimum bourgeois freedom.

>The nature of alienation from self--which is what being "white" is
>all about, not to mention being a white prole--is that depending on
>the social and historical circumstances, white men are sometimes
>more conscious of thier priviledge and sometimes less so. The
>"racist"/"not-racist" paradigm that the left uses to understand
>these people is analytically impoverished and, therefore, useless in
>any effort to build a movement against the tendendy that both
>victimizes them and that they represent.

White men who are racist think that the root cause of alienation lies not in the aforementioned paradoxical freedom of capitalism but in the marginalized & oppressed who either have only recently & precariously attained the freedom essential to capitalism (women, blacks, etc. in rich nations) or have yet to do so (illegal aliens in rich nations; the impoverished masses on the periphery; etc.); racist white men think that we -- not capitalism -- are the source of his woes, without understanding that we have it even worse than them under capitalism. White men who are not racist know what the real cause of alienation is.

Yoshie