White Men & Freedom Essential to Capitalism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Nov 20 06:57:17 PST 2000

"Christopher B. Hajib-Niles" wrote:

> > > hope for america begins when significant numbers of "whites" refuse the identity and act accordingly.
> >
> > There is (some) hope for significant numbers of white workers to join in struggles
> > to change the objective conditions which generate racism as an ideology.
>
> where do you see this happening? and again, i don't see racism, whatever that is,

I don't particularly -- but it is the only hope. Your moralizing leads to utter despair rather than merely my bleak outlook. What I speak of *may* happen, though I won't hold my breath, while what you speak of belongs to fantasy.

There will be no revolutionary movement in the U.S. except one organized around the fight against white and male supremacy within the working class -- which in turn depends on a strong and independent black movement. I'm not saying that will happen -- I'm just saying that no other route to revolution is possible. I'm not saying that revolution is possible (and whether it is desirable or not is a merely academic question) but only that it is necessary for human survival.

I don't really take a very cheerful view of the future.

Carrol