another reason Marx was wrong

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Nov 21 13:27:52 PST 2000

No they don't. Local public ed is overwhelmingly financed by local property taxes on residences.

That has changed in a few states in the wake of some court decisions that have forced state govs to provide 'equal treatment' by centralizing finance to some extent, meaning the use of state revenues instead of local ones. Typically the revenue used is the sales tax. My feeling is that this is a big improvement, though I don't know of any empirical work that shows this. The localness of property taxes suggests greater regressive effects since people sort or are sorted (against their wishes) among local jurisdictions according to race and income.

mbs

CB: I was going to ask about that claim too. What, capitalist corps pay the most property taxes , or something ?