Election Crisis and Electoral Reform

Gregory Geboski ggeboski at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 21 13:50:59 PST 2000

<< I'm wondering how many of you who have anathematized the sanctions against Iraq supported sanctions against South Africa. The ANC called for them: were they advocating " mass murder"? >>

Oh, come on.

No, the ANC was advocating the democratization of a country under the boot of the apartheid regime. South African sanctions had the support of the masses. It was a conscious policy of the popular struggle. In Iraq, the US is not destabilizing Hussein (rhetoric to the contrary), but insuring that Iraq does not return to its previous level as a regional power. Even Hussein's critics in Iraq (when they can be heard) oppose Iraqi sanctions as counter-productive to establishing freedom in Iraq. It's US policy, not a call from freedom fighters, that maintains Iraqi sanctions.

----Original Message Follows---- From: Kevin Quinn <kquinn at cba.bgsu.edu> Reply-To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Election Crisis and Electoral Reform Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:47:08 -0500

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com