another reason Marx was wrong

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Nov 21 14:08:24 PST 2000

At 03:14 PM 11/21/00 -0500, Doug quoted
>"Das Human Kapital"
>
> BY: ODED GALOR
> Brown University
> Department of Economics
> OMER MOAV
> Hebrew University
> improving. Had Karl Marx been exposed to Gary Becker's Human
> Capital theory, the socio-political experience of the 20th
> century might have unfolded in a strikingly different manner.

Had the practitioners of the dismal 'science' been exposed to anything else than the canonical writings of their own cabal, they would have reached a strikingly different conclusions. Thanks to taylorization, we may be getting smarter labor saving machinery, but dumber operators thereof (cf. Harry Braverman, _Labor and monopoly capital : the degradation of work in the twentieth century_). Instead of producing knowledge and critical thinking, educational institutions merely reproduce social stratification (Randall Collins, _The Credential society : an historical sociology of education and stratification_, Pierre Bourdieu, _Homo Academicus_).

Sometimes I wonder if these folks are really that intellectually challenged or merely act as mildly sadistics pests determined to annoy the Left.

wojtek