Exploitation

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Tue Nov 21 15:57:54 PST 2000

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000, Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

> working class are hemmed in by. Is love in this context an
> aesthetic/political category itself historically
> chosen/determined.......by whom, the cultural anti-commissars?

Nope. It's outside of what we normally consider history, it's the space of non-identity where something new glimmers momentarily, before vanishing again. Great works of art have that moment; so do great moments of history, whether they happen in national legislatures or NBA playoff series. To paraphrase one of the great TV series of all time, it's not something which can be filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, stamped or numbered. But it is something which is experienced and felt directly by subjects. I'm using Benjaminic language, of course, but Walter was on to something with that Angel of History stuff.

-- Dennis