The Language of Betrayal

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Wed Nov 22 10:21:45 PST 2000

Doug Henwood responded to Leo Casey:

> Leo Casey wrote:
>
> >Since the defeat of Gore and the Democrats was an
> >important political goal for you,
>
> No. My goal is building indpendent left political movements. The
> Democrats, and loyalty to the Democrats, are obstacles to this.
>
> > which Bush policy do
> >you look forward the most to see implemented:
> >
> >1. A constitutional amendment banning abortions?
>
> Will never happen.

Scare tactics are also a poor way to defend a woman's right to choose. My anarchist answer to the pro-life assholes would be:

* anarchists will work with other people to make sure that freely available abortion clinics are available to women. If abortions are outlawed we will defend these clinics with firepower. Meanwhile, while everybody debates the same crap over and over again, and women in rural areas effectively lose their right to abortions, there is a groundswell of DIY groups forming to help women in rural areas obtain access to abortion, or other services when needed.

> >2. An end to affirmative action?
>
> It's mostly over, no?
>
> >3. 15 minute reviews before sending convicted
> >prisoners to their deaths?
>
> Good thing the Clinton years have been a time when the DP was suspended!

See Billy Ray Rector.

> >4. A generation of Scalias and Thomases on the
> >Supreme Court and the federal bench?
>
> Gore & Lieberman voted to confirm Scalia, no?

Abolish the Supreme Court. Why should this posse of ex-lawyers have any right to tell us how to live our lives?

> >5. Reactionary, anti-labor hacks running NLRB, OSHA,
> >etc.? Anti-public education hacks running the
> >Department of Education? And so on.

The NLRB is the crutch of big labor. A healthy labor movement wouldn't require governmnet bandaids like th NLRB. Capitalism chugs along fine as long as things like the NLRB exist.

> >6. Replacement of federal aid to public schools with
> >voucher money for private schools?
>
> Don't like either 5 or 6. So if it happens, we'll have to get out
> into the streets. Which is where we should be defending abortion
> access, too, no? Did Clinton really do much to defend abortion access?

Why should their be aid of any kind to schools? Schools suck ass. They aren't about learning, they are about indoctrination of young people so they won't rebel when they discover they will have to trade away years of their precious lives for a few baubles. I can share some of the angry e-mail I get from teenagers who are fed up with schools.

> >7. Refusal to add "sexual orientation" into
> >anti-discrimination and anti-hate crime laws?
>
> I don't like hate crime laws.

People who perpetrate hate crimes deserve a bullet between the eyes.

> >8. Tax breaks for the wealthy?
>
> Don't like those. But as Max Sawicky pointed out, Bush's plan offers
> nontrivial relief to the $35,000 set.

The best tax break comes when you don't pay taxes. If more of us refused to pay taxes, the government would quickly have some problems, right?

> >9. Massive additional spending on the military?
>
> Gore proposed twice the increase Bush did, and derided Bush for
> wanting to skip the next generation of missiles, whatever that is,
> whyever we need it.

See Star Wars.

> >10. An end to federal spending on the arts?
>
> Won't happen. The bourgeoisie likes their symphonies and museums too much.

Bigger grants, longer chains. Artists don't need government money. I say this as a former artist. Government money goes to fund some of the most worthless crap. Whoever gets elected, they should start by axeing funding to National Public Radio, that propaganda network run by former propaganda professionals. End the subsidies for "public" stations that play all of that classical music. That format can survive quite well without taxpayer support. Classical music listeners are one of the most coveted demographic segments. Classical stations won't disappear if NPR is killed.

Thank god Doug has one the best B.S. detectors on this list.

Chuck0