renouncing whiteness

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 22 13:51:54 PST 2000

At 03:59 PM 11/22/00 -0500, Charles wrote:
>CB: The Blackness of the man shot 41 times when he showed his wallet in
Manhattan and the whiteness of the cops who shot him was also debilitating to to the murdered man's body.

>Whiteness/Blackness is not only discourse.

Charles, the only colored that mattered there was blue. To further illustrate, we had a similar case in MD where a cop shot a student. In this case, however, both the cop and the victim were black; what seem to happen was that the undercover cop tried to make an arrest, the guy got scared and rammed the cop's unmarked car, then the cop got scared and shot him.

Clerly it is the thin-blue-line mentality behind those incidents - the cult of police as superheroeas saving society from sundry villains (instead of being mere civil servants) coupled with poor training.

wojtek