Language of Betrayal

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Nov 22 14:21:11 PST 2000

Leo Casey wrote:

>I have to confess, I just don't like the form of the
>pseudo-Socratic, rhetorical question. It precludes so
>much in the way of more thoughtful analysis.
>
>If there is thing we can say with relative certainty
>at this point in the 2000 election, it is that
>whomever occupies the White House,

"Whoever," please. If you're going to represent teachers, please get this straight!

>Nonetheless, even with gridlock like no one ever
>imagined, whomever

Ditto.

Maybe gridlock, maybe not. What if the centrists all get together, under the guidance of the bipartisan Congressional leadership and R.W. Apple, and declare a government of national unity, and renew TANF, do a little SS privatization, build a little Starlet Wars, split the diff between Gore's higher and Bush's lower military spending increases, etc....?

>Now, why would we be "in the streets" [Doug's answer
>to every piece of damage from a potential Bush
>presidency that he concedes as real threats] only if
>> Bush won? Why wouldn't we be organizing in
>extra-electoral ways regardless of who wins?

I certainly hope so. I'm anti-bipartisan. For mob rule!

Doug