Addiction, Advertising, & Easy Virtue (was Re: How far do we go?)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Nov 23 07:28:17 PST 2000

Uday:
> >What's wrong with being antiporn? Or is it the way one is antiporn that
> >troubles?

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin:
> One doesn't have to love porn to earn my respect (especially given the
> dreadful product these days -- ah, for the golden age of Seka and Ginger
> Lynn!); but in my experience, those who are antiporn in a political (as
> opposed to a strictly aesthetic) sense usually hold authoritarian views on a
> variety of topics. I've been through the ringer with the Dworkin/Mackinnon
> crowd, and their neofascist impulses are truly despicable.

Ah, the dread DworkinMacKinnon whose two-headed shadow overspreads the land! But the way I would put it is: antipornography requires the construction of pornography. (Otherwise sexual and erotic material would simply appear here and there, no more peculiar than any other item of interest.) It is another example of fetishism.

Antipornographists may be interested in authoritarianism because pornography _qua_ pornography depends on the forbidding of certain items; the more forbidding, the more pornography to be excited about.