Addiction, Advertising, & Easy Virtue (was Re: How far do we go?)

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Thu Nov 23 09:59:19 PST 2000

>Where in my statement above do I say they ameliorate alienation. Just
>because they are fun it does not follow they abolish alienation. Hence,
"not
>non-alienating". Burroughs was poking savage fun at the banality at the
>source of much alienation, a Kafka on....drugs. In some sense he got
>"beyond" the alienation enough to blast it. In any case he was far less
>alienated than the rest of his generation. What would constitute
>non-alienation?
>

>Ian

The big mind-fuck was seeing Burroughs in product advertisements, i.e. Burroughs and all he represents being used to sell some commodities. I think the Baffler touched on this episode.

At leat Hunter S. Thompson never did this http://www.brillscontent.com/2000dec/features/fear.shtml

In my experience, he was/is a big hero for and influence to a lot of people in my age group (late twenties/early thirties) who either weren't around yet or old enough to experience the Sixties' meldown and the rise of Nixon et al.

By the way, who's the artist who did the Fear and Loathing/Rolling Stone drawings?

Peter