Addiction, Advertising, & Easy Virtue (was Re: How far do we go?)

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Thu Nov 23 10:08:09 PST 2000

>But, that said, I also find repellant this throwing around of labels such
>as
>"prude," "humorless," and "pedantic." Don't people have as much a right
>to be pedantic or humorless as they do to poison themselves with
>nicotine. Use of such labels by those who specialize in snide remarks about
>
>leftists thinking they know best is just as repellant as the stupid
>diatribes
>of the McDworkinites.
>
>Carrol

People also have the right to look askance at and be put off by humorless, pedantic leftists. Although in your case, I find it truly impressive and awe-inspiring.

[awe n. 1. a. An emotion of mingled reverence, dread, and wonder inspired by something majestic or sublime. b. Respect, tinged with fear, for authority.]

Peter