Porn Politics (was Porn Aesthetics)

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Nov 24 06:38:19 PST 2000

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin:
>> to the video revolution which, on the
>> one hand, has led to the
>> pap referred to above; but on the other hand, has
>> led to a democratization
>> of the form.

Daniel Davies:
> this is usually a bad thing in most other art forms
> and, without much thought, I can't quite see how it
> would be a good thing in pornography ... the reverse,
> if anything.

That would depend on what "good art" is supposed to be -- an item of considerable contention, as you may have heard. A lot of people like folk, punk, amateur - the naive modes. And much that is not official or established is not so naive anyway.

However, democratization of _pornography_ will contribute to its dissolution. Pornography -- prostitute writing, if you like etymology -- depends on the forbidding, hiding or restriction of erotic material, just as prostitution depends on other kinds of power and oppression. Faithful liberals will blithely say that people should be free to do all the prostitution and pornography they like, and I too believe that they should as a matter of political principle, but these enterprises can't continue without illiberal restraints on behavior and expression, probably enforced by State power.