Porn Politics (was Porn Aesthetics)

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Nov 24 08:07:10 PST 2000

>But this is not what's going on in pornography. Pornography
>is depiction, so the real action is happening in the
>living room or the movie theater where the customer
>witnesses the depiction.

i said "representation" several times. pornography, by definition, is not about the real act. the objections typically hinge on the seeming "unreality" of those depictions, claims about the "fairness" of those depictions, etc. pornography IS representation and so, it seems to me, is inherently objectifying. but, i would argue that ALL sex involves objectification anyway.

the point is this: the assumption was that those depictions are demeaning to women, that somehow anal sex is "bad", as are facials. it's not necessarily the case that women view these acts and feel denigrated. and why should they? what makes anyone feel that anal sex is denigrating to women? are depictions of men having anal sex denigrating to men? are films of men getting facials denigrating to men?

somehow these are acts of domination and objectification according to uday. well, obviously, they don't have to be. and, frankly, when it comes to yer average porn fare, i'd say that the blow job is the number one act depicted, not anal sex.

maybe yoshie will give us a little spin on the money shot.

kelley