Porn Politics (was Porn Aesthetics)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 24 22:25:57 PST 2000

Rob:

> >>the four most overrated things are lobster, champaigne, anal sex, and
>>>picnics. Or so I heard.
>>
>>So you heard.... You aren't going to speak from experience?
>
>Well, I'm no shirker! I've had three of these, Yoshie. That's just the
>devil-may-care, have-a-go, damn-the-torpedoes sorta guy I am. Lobster is
>more than nice enough to make it worth catching, but is not worth buying at
>the price. Champagne is shite, but it is efficient at getting those
>nervous silences out of the way quickly. And picnics are crap unless you
>have sex at 'em.

I think most of us (except possibly Chuck0, Gordon Fitch, & Michael Perelman) agree that picnics are overrated (especially without a bug repellant) & lobsters overpriced. Whether you think champagne or anal sex is more overrated depends on how loaded you are, no?

>As for all this porn talk, well, I've seen some, and, yeah, the female's
>anus seems to be all the rage these days (never was when I first, er, came
>across this stuff in the seventies). Guess they'd so bombarded us with
>genitalia they just had to find a new taboo (it'll be smoking next).

One of the remaining taboos in run-of-the-mill straight porn, I believe, is explicit representation of straight guys' desire for anal stimulation (I'm talking about their own asses, not women's): see, for instance, <http://www.goodvibes.com/fyi/fyianal.html>. Since so many straight guys enjoy various forms of anal stimulation in physical sexual contact, I'd think that pornographers should boldly break the (semi-)taboo & creatively represent straight guys receiving anal ministrations by fingers, dildos, cocks, fruits & vegetables, etc. In a possible future, the straight male anus will become all the rage in a post-sexist society? In such a future, I think the straight female anus will be out of vogue, since explicit representation should make vicarious experience less necessary.

Yoshie