Light Reading

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Nov 25 14:19:05 PST 2000

>Specifically:
>
>http://www.efn.org/~dredmond/neolib.PDF
>
>And yes, it was a genuine pleasure to write.
>
>-- Dennis

My view was that Amy Goodman didn't know enough to pin the guy down.

For example, Clinton responds to a question about Cuba with: "We were really making headway. And then, they illegally shot down those two planes, and four people died on the planes. And the Congress passed the Helms/Burton bill, so-called. And I don't have flexibility to do much more..." The right thing to do is to say in response: "yeah. Well you *signed* Helms-Burton, buster. You don't have flexibility now because you gave that flexibility away then..."

But American political reporters--even the best of them--do not have the depth of policy experience to be able to match someone like Clinton across the board...

Brad DeLong