Greg's Sut Rant (was: Addiction, Advertising, & Easy Virtue)

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 26 15:38:10 PST 2000

Gregory Geboski wrote:

>Hey, don’t hold back. Tell me what you really think about Sut Jhally.
>
>Sounds like you had a really bad personal experience.

Gosh Greg. Are you joined at the hip with Jhally? If you revere the work of Saint Sut, so be it. I could care less. My "personal experience" was with some antiporn people at FAIR where I used to work. Jhally was seen as some kind of Deep Thinker who understood "objectifying images of women" better than most critics of mass culture. What I saw of his work struck me as, yes, humorless and pedantic. Believe it or not, there are a number of left critics who can tell the difference between exploitation and the honest representation of desire. Indeed, I went through this on the "Porn Politics" thread (look it up). I need no lectures from you on this topic.

We all objectify. Your post was a form of objectification. Do you know me? Have you spent time with me? Are you familiar with my work? Do you even know what I look like? No? Well then, how can you make the statements you made in your post? Seems to me that you're jerking off to an image that exists in your head, and not in reality.

DP