The Language of Betrayal

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Nov 27 20:12:31 PST 2000

You, Seth and Doug argue that none of the improvements for low-income workers were significantly impacted by progressive groups or progressive policy changes.

How is that not a denigration of the efforts of the progressive groups who fought for those policy changes? -- Nathan Newman

=========

Seth & Doug can speak for themselves. I said NOTHING about the effect of progressive groups on improvements for low-income workers. I said the improvements for low-income workers, such as they were, could not be important explanatory factors in the economic boom, contrary to your assertion. I will not review my arguments, unless somebody begs me to.

But suppose they were. Whether or not they could be ascribed to progressive agitation or not is an analytical question, not one of loyalty. I seem to have had a similar conversation about two weeks ago, right here on LBO. I've had it with Louie about ten times, when we were still on speaking terms. It goes something like this:

lp: The Marxist Surf Club of Surinam is the revolutionary vanguard.

mbs: But I just read they torture kittens.

lp: No. You don't understand. Capitalism is a pox on humanity and must be destroyed.

TR