The Language of Betrayal

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 28 07:11:41 PST 2000

Nathan Newman wrote:

>And the goals they accomplish - such as the EITC, labor policy improvements,
>minimum wage raises, etc. - had nothing to do with improving the wages of
>low-income workers.

I thought the DLC loved the EITC because it drove a wedge between the working and nonworking poor - i.e., it rewarded the "deserving," while welfare reform would punish the underserving. I thought the true "progressive" position was child allowances and/or minimum incomes with no strings attached. The EITC smells more like corporatist social policy.

Doug