Jack Welch, teacher

Wed Nov 29 08:31:55 PST 2000

>>> carlremick at hotmail.com 11/29/00 03:20PM >>>
[GE's Jack Welch is, of course, the most acclaimed U.S. CEO of the age. The passage that follows, from today's NY Times, reminds me of Groucho Marx's line about some person being "the brains of the bunch * which should give you some idea of the bunch." In my limited direct experience with corporate CEOs, I've not found that any of them, either, were fans of "big heavy books" apart from looseleaf-binder briefing books.]

CB: However, on 60 Minutes with Welch, I thought they said he has a ph.d in chemical engineering, which I suspect would be a more academic background than most CEO's.

For most of his two decades at the helm of the General Electric Company, John F. Welch Jr. has thought of himself as a teacher. ...

"Teacher" might seem an odd appellation for the decidedly unprofessorial Mr. Welch. This, after all, is a man whose mass layoffs earned him the nickname Neutron Jack and whose rapid-fire speech aggravates a stutter and rarely ends in a complete sentence.

Although he is a self-described news fanatic who devours magazines, he acknowledges he does not read "a lot of big heavy books" unless they happen to be written by Peter F. Drucker, the management guru who inspired two of the so-called big ideas that have been part of Mr. Welch's G.E. tenure. Instead, Mr. Welch cultivates an informal network of advisers that include the world's leading corporate chieftains, academics and consultants.

[Full text at http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/29/business/29WELC.html]

Carl

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com