renouncing whiteness

Wed Nov 29 09:31:41 PST 2000

>>>> cniles at wanadoo.fr 11/28/00 05:29PM >>
wow!my powers of intuition are amazing! this is a joke, right? ok, woj, i'll bite. the burden is now on black people to prove "racist" behavior. what's the best way to do that? oh, and i'll try to remember to tell some of the young brothers in los angeles on my next visit that the next time they seem white cops whaling on a black kid in an alley not to assume that it has anything to do with race until they get some proof--you know like, the cops admitting that they hate black people.

CB: Actually, it is getting to the point where there are sort of open admissions by the authorities that "race has something to do with it ", as in this post from Yoshie:

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 11/28/00 09:26PM >>>
The New York Times November 28, 2000, Tuesday, Late Edition - Final SECTION: Section A; Page 1; Column 2; Metropolitan Desk HEADLINE: RACIAL PROFILING WAS THE ROUTINE, NEW JERSEY FINDS

-clip-

Mr. Farmer explained that the practice of singling out black and Hispanic drivers evolved as part of the drug war of the mid-1980's, when the federal Drug Enforcement Administration began asking local police forces to intercept drug traffickers on major highways.