Katherine Harris: 'The Rumor'?

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 21:51:38 PST 2000

>From Ron Rosenbaum's column in the current NY Observer – full text at
http://www.observer.com/pages/frontpage5.asp:

"... [Florida Secretary of State Katherine] Harris' naked partisanship ... has been so excessive and self-destructive ... it has given rise to some wild theories to explain it. That's the only way to explain what I'll call 'The Rumor.' The Rumor is also worth examining (or at least mentioning) as an index of the way America is still divided into two nations: Media and Media Consumers. Almost everyone in the media I know has heard The Rumor, and yet only one paragraph about it has appeared in print. ...

"It's interesting: If it were a rumor about Hillary, you know Matt Drudge would have rushed into print with it. He would have justified it by saying that people at The Times are buzzing about The Rumor but refusing to print it because they're all liberals. Well, people at The Times are buzzing about the Harris Rumor ....

"I'm not going to say any more. I will leave The Rumor — which I'm told is now being investigated by The Washington Post and other newspapers and newsweeklies — buried ... for now, except to add this item from Neal Travis' Nov. 22 column in the New York Post: 'I hear that some major magazines — and I don't mean the tabloids — are delving deeply into [The Rumor about] Katherine Harris.'"

Whatever all the buzz is about, I have to assume it's something more sensational than this curiousity from James Ridgeway's column in the current Village Voice: "[An] ... interesting story shooting around Florida's talk-show circuit has it that as a student Harris was popular and known for one particular ability: She had the ability to insert her whole fist into her mouth."

Carl

_____________________________________________________________________________________ Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com