O Canada

Uday Mohan udaym at igc.org
Wed Nov 29 21:05:15 PST 2000

Marco Anglesio wrote:

> While it's certainly a good thing that free and universal health care is a
> sacred cow of the canadian electorate,

But isn't the health care system being slowly gutted by budget cutbacks? My mother complains regularly now about the long waits in getting tests and other medical service. One way to wean the electorate off universal health care would be to cut its budget to the point where it meets basic expectations less and less frequently. And once Canadians start complaining loudly about the system, US pols and the health insurance industry would be more than eager to point to it as a failed model, eliminating what little pressure that system now exerts as a nearby alternative model.

Uday