Puritan Heritage (Was re: Charlatans Left & Right)

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Nov 30 04:23:09 PST 2000

Doug Henwood wrote on Wed Nov 29 2000:

> Speaking of which, I just learned from a student member of her school
> district's reproductive health advisory committee that Michigan law
> forbids mention of "masturbation" (though it's unclear whether
> euphemisms are acceptable), mandates that abstinence until marriage
> be promoted as the best approach, and requires a representative of
> the clergy be a member of the advisory board (so much for separating
> church & state!).

Meanwhile by contrast in France today, the lower house just passed a law allowing morning-after pills to be handed out in high schools to girls on demand. Only one legislator in the lower house voted against it -- and that was because she thought the pills could be dangerous so the girls should take it under a doctor's supervision.

Michael