Fwd: FW: Don't boycott Amazon.com

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 30 10:46:33 PST 2000

From: Mary Beth Maxwell [mailto:mmaxwell at cwa-union.org] Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 12:25 PM To: jwj-list at igc.topica.com Subject: support for workers organizing at Amazon.com

Please circulate widely to Jobs with Justice activists, friends and allies

Customer service workers at amazon.com in Seattle, WA have been working to organize a union. They call their organization Day2 at amazon.com ("until we have a voice, it remains Day 1"). It is affiliated with Washtech/CWA. Amazon.com management has been engaged in a vicious anti-union campaign to scare people from joining the union. The workers could use some encouragement from the general public. Here is what they are requesting:

Welcome! Thank you for supporting our effort to unionize at Amazon.com!

We encourage all Amazon.com customers to continue to order from the company. We are committed to the company's success and we want this season to be the most profitable holiday that the company has ever seen.

If you are an Amazon.com customer, please take the following action when you complete your next purchase: When your order confirmation arrives via e-mail, hit "reply" to send the customer service rep who serviced your order an individual reply. This e-mail will go directly to the customer service rep and will not increase their workload (beyond reading your message). Please be polite.

A suggested e-mail of support may be something like: "We support your effort to organize at Amazon.com. We are rooting for your success and wish you well! Keep the faith!"