The Color of Money

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 30 13:02:28 PST 2000

At 21:00 30-11-00, Doug wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Christopher B. Hajib-Niles wrote:
>
> > you assign them to? (do you think that the english can be racist against
> > the french, or the germans, or the serbians? why or why not?)
>
>Of course -- as two hideous world wars on the continent of Europe have
>proven.

Not to speak of the football games... I highly recommend in this regard Simon Kuper's excellent _Football Against the Enemy_.

As for racism against blacks, that too flourishes in football crowds. See Kuper's latest article in the Guardian on racism at football games in Italy:

Sunday November 19, 2000

Italians are growing increasingly

shocked at the bad behaviour of their

football fans. The Italy-England

friendly and other recent events

suggest the problem is getting worse.

Italian newspapers deplored the racist

booing of England's Emile Heskey

during Wednesday's match in Turin.

This followed the abuse hurled at

Arsenal's Patrick Vieira last month by

Lazio's player Sinisa Mihajlovic.

<....>

In Italy, an almost entirely white nation

with a powerful far-right movement,

little attention has been paid so far to

racism in football. T-shirt campaigns

against it have been largely

ineffectual. The 'Ultra' fans of many

clubs are openly racist and are linked

to far-right movements. The racism

last season was among the worst on

record. (etc...)

http://www.footballunlimited.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,4284,399734,00.html

Btw, for those wanting to track it down, Kuper's book is not available from the US Amazon but is from the Amazon.co.uk.

cheers, Joanna -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20001201/6f82ec7b/attachment.htm>