Net Polls

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Sun Oct 1 21:43:03 PDT 2000

Doug -- I'm sending this to you personally, because the panix server is refusing to relay this to the e-mail list.

Doug Henwood wrote:
>>Gar Lipow wrote:

>>When I took the quiz it told me two things:
>>1) My candidate is David M.
>>) I'm a moderate liberal.
>>
>>Uh yeah, right.

>So which is inaccurate?

>Doug

Doug I know I have not posted that often, but do I sound like a moderate liberal?

>PS: The AAPOR crowd seems mystified by the fact that while net polls
shouldn't be accurate, they're more accurate than they should be.

If net polls are really coming closer to reality than they should be (I'd want more evidence) could it be a matter of sheer size of the sample? That is, once you get into gigantic smaple sizes, does the ratio of rerpesenative to non-representative possible sample change. It has been a long time since my elementary statistic class. I know that you don't gain that much when it comes to truly random samples, but I don't think we ever dealt with how it would affect biased samples. Anyone with the statistical savvy to answer this one?