Net Polls

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Oct 2 06:04:20 PDT 2000

Doug Henwood:
> I'm no stat-head, but a large sample size isn't going to improve
> things if it's an unrepresentative sample. You'd think that a net
> audience is richer, whiter, more male, and more libertarian than a
> random sample of the U.S. pop, wouldn't you?

It certainly used to be, but that might be less and less the case. What they call the human interface is changing and it's becoming much easier to get online without being a technician, a rich person, or an American. The elderly parents of one of my stone working-class friends got one of those $89 internet appliance things (basically, sends and receive text -- email and text from web pages). They had a little difficulty with the shift key, a thing which they'd never encountered before, but now they're flying.