stunned

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Oct 2 14:39:16 PDT 2000

> > From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>> Brad DeLong wrote:
>>
>> >Well, don't you think it is? Wouldn't you be very happy if African
>> >air had more sulphur dioxide in it, and Africa were a richer place?
>> >The question is: "how much of one, and how much of the other?"
>>
>> Yeah, but that's not exactly what he said:
>
><this was written by Summers:>
>
>> >_Nuggets_
>> >
>> >3. _"Dirty" industries_ Just between you and me, shouldn't the
>> >World Bank be encouraging more migration of the dirty industries to
>> >the LDCs? I can think of three reasons:
>> >
>> >1) The measurement of the costs of health impairing pollution
>> >depends on the foregone earnings from increased morbidity and
>> >mortality. From this point of view a given amount of health
>> >Impairing pollution should be done in the country with the lowest
>> >cost, which will be the country with the lowest wages. I think the
>> >economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the lowest
>> >wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that.
>

>As I see it, this argument could be easily used in support
>of 'harvesting' organs from poor people for transplantation in rich
>people.
>

>Barry

I should introduce you to some libertarians I know. (It's my kidney! I should be able to sell it if I want to!)

Brad DeLong

P.S.: Of course, none have actually gone to China and sold their kidneys to high party officials... maybe they were afraid of having their corneas harvested while they were under...