Niiice kitty....

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Oct 2 18:59:12 PDT 2000

kelley:
> this was posted on the cypherpunks list. the respondent maintains that
> chomsky is well-known for misquoting or twisting quotes/sources. never
> heard that come up here in all our discussions... comments? cypherpunks
> is archived if you want more info.
>
> kelley
>
> <fowarded>
> --
> > I've been reading Noam Chomsky's book on Kosovo and came across this
> > quote from a Cabinet note written by Churchill in January 1914
> > explaining the need for increased military expenditure (taken in
> > turn from Clive Ponting's Churchill, 1994, P 132):
> >
> > "We are not a young people with an innocent record and a scanty
> > inheritance. We have engrossed to ourselves an altogether
> > disproportionate share of the wealth and traffic of the world. We
> > have got all we want in territory, and our claim to be left in the
> > unmolested enjoyment of vast and splendid possessions, mainly
> > acquired by violence, largely maintained by force, often seems less
> > reasonable to others than to us."
>

> Chomsky is hardly a reliable source. He routinely fabricates or falsifies
> quotes. I suggest you check his alleged sources.
>
> Chances are you will be unable to find his alleged source. In the unlikely
> event that you are able to find it, it will not say quite what Chomsky
> claims it said.
>
> --digsig

I believe that's James Donald, one of the Net's remarkable characters, who perpetually asserts that Chomsky is a Pol Pot apologist, etc., and who performs some outstanding quotation- manipulation and logic-chopping-and-pasting himself. For instance, he accused me of anti- Semitism because I asserted that the Sandinista regime had held two national elections and recognized the results of both of them.