new economy rant from Jim O'Connor

Tue Oct 3 11:05:49 PDT 2000

>>> cns at cats.ucsc.edu 10/03/00 01:18PM >>>

-clip- But why car workers bought those big finned (horizontal and vertical) vehicles of the 1950s requires another method, or way of thinking., Or take SUVS: a recent study showed that a definite personality type buys SUVS.

CB: This is an instructive post overall, so my comment is not meant to be critical. However, I think the explanation of workers buying the biggest stuff has to do with a version of "why not the best for the working class ?" thinking. And I don't mean the thinking is entirely naive about the "money/commodity fetish" standard defining "the best " here. But feeling helpless to change the overalll game being played , they damned well are going to get a high score in the game that is being played.