Zizek and Polls

Barbie kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Oct 4 08:34:31 PDT 2000

dreamdate ken writes:

>Leviathan wrote:

awwww shucks ken, you noticed!

>God hell us!

amen to that slippage.

> > the media is a cultural institution.
>
>Errr... that's a nice sentiment, but really, isn't the media more an
>instrument
>of the political economy?

ken! you've become a economic determinst while i've been searching for the keys to the 'vette. that's it! i will no longer let you read to me or fan me or feed me grapes!

to say that something is a cultural institution, ken doll, is not to say that it is anything other than fully integrated into a --*A*-- political economy. to assume i was suggesting anything other than that is, well.....hmmmm maybe you should just try turning the left turn signal off.

> Or are those 7 minute breaks between commericals
>actually meaningful? Even if those 7 minute breaks between commercials are
>meaningful, they're in full compliance with the consumer industry...

yeah, so is there someplace outside of that? who gets to decide content in some groovy utopia?

>m-e-d-i-a-t-i-o-n is my word of the day.

m-e-d-i-a-t-i-o-n-s. meeeeeeeeeedeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaayyshuns. mediations.

hmmmm. tastes great. double your pleasure, double your fun. rolls on the tongue. yum. melts in your mouth not in your hands

okay ken, joker me this: is the media an instrument of the political economy in groovy utopia where it's in the hands of "the people"? what about when newspapers were run and owned by people for the purpose of espousing a political view, as part of local political machines, before advertising. was that not mass media?

>Rules are made to be broken. That's why we have them. You don't need a
>rule for
>something there is already 'cultural' consensus on. I think Habermas calls
>this
>the lifeworld.

b.s. the lifeworld is just as contested as the sybsystems of the market and the state. rationalization OF THE LIFEWORLD.!!!!!!!!!!!

>I just pointed out that polls serve as stitching points for our thought...
>and
>I see this more like a stain - something we can't get rid of - than
>subjecting
>everything always all the time to scrutiny. That's the job of science or
>meditation. I generally find what I'm ordered to think about rather pathetic,
>although constitutive of my thoughts... which explains why I have no taste.

but ya like me! heh.