Prez Debates - Round 1

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Wed Oct 4 09:57:29 PDT 2000

Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

>Mikalac Norman S NSSC <MikalacNS at NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL> wrote:

>>IMO, Gore 9, Bush 1 (sympathy).
>>Gore in command of the issues and the facts. Bush looked supremely
>>ignorant and downright dumb. had absolutely no logical or factual
>>rejoiners. used a few one-liners that fell flat. looked uncomfortable.
>>didn't use any of the natural charm he has.

>>i felt kinda sorry for him.

>Agreed, Bush looked like a small-town used car dealer - a shabby looking
>ignoramus who's desperately trying to be cunning - but that appeals to
>a lot of people in this country, especially lower-middle-class males who
>are just like that - ignorant and cocky.

Another perspective:

I just got back from lunch, and heard some co-workers talking about the debates. They concluded that Bush won, because 'Gore lied' (about medicare and drug reimbursements).

I work at Visteon, where the political spectrum's center is Reagan, and people who voted for Clinton are considered strange and feaky (I know one other who did, out of over a dozen).

Barry