Rwandan Genocide

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 16:05:32 PDT 2000

Oh come on Leo, your post is just a smoke-screen.

You argued that my viewpoint, that the RPF was backed by the US was beyond the pale and that it was restricted to a lunatic fringe.

I showed you that far from that being the case, it was well supported, by amongst others the Washington Post and the radical journal Covert Action Quarterly.

Then you seek to rubbish the credentials of Covert Action Quarterly (why not the Washington Post?). Apparently CAQ carries articles by Michel Chossudovsky. Outrageous! I think many people on this list, even those that disagreed with his assessment of the Yugoslav conflict would agree that Chossudovsky was a creditable addition to any publication. But in any event, was it the case that Chossudovsky wrote the article in question. No. So what is your point, exactly? None, but a smear, resting on an assumption that few share. Does any of this call into question the veracity of the article in CAQ? No. Does any of this call into question the view of the Washington Post journalist that the US was heavily involved in the RPF regime. No.

Leo sought to suggest that this was a viewpoint beyond the pale. It was no such thing. Like Yoweri Museveni's government in Uganda, Paul Kagame's is considered one of the US's most loyal allies in Africa, and amongst the 'new generation' of political leaders there. Kagame was trained by the US military, as Leo accepts, but hopes that this will not add up to the fact that the US was involved in the invasion. Well, I'm happy to bandy sources on this one.

As part of the smokescreen Leo raises the question of the Ogoni in Nigeria. Why? What has that got to do with Rwanda? It is a smokescreen, like the association of the - allegedly - anti-Muslim Michel Chossudovsky.

Leo thinks it inconceivable that the US would ditch its one-time ally in the region Mobutu. Presumably it is equally inconceivable that the US would have ditched its former allies Manuel Noriega, Saddam Hussein, Marcos, etc etc.

Leo only recognises atrocities committed by Hutus against Tutsis. The slaughter of Hutu refugees in the Camps in Zaire, or of Hutus by RPF forces in Northern Rwanda, or of Hutus by Tutsis in Burundi are all excised from history, just as they are ignored under the terms of the tribunal.

Leo insists that the government in Rwanda is mixed, in ignorance of the fact that the resignation of the last of the Hutu ministers was the event that forced Kagame to take control rather than ruling through figure heads.

And what about democracy? Does Leo agree that Rwandans ought to elect their government? Or does he support the continuation of the military dictatorship?

Leo says that all major investigations concluded that Hutus killed the president. But he declines to comment on the UN investigation that implicated Kagame, as reported in the New York Times. Is he saying that this is wrong?

In message <4b.1a31f78.270cae7b at aol.com>, LeoCasey at aol.com writes
>Jim Heartfield's comments on this topic (reproduced below) dismiss the very
>reality of the Rwandan genocide, "evenhandedly" condemning both its
>perpetrators and its victims, one million of which are dead. In this, as in
>their attacks on Ken Siro-Wiwa and the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni
>People in their struggle with Shell and the Nigerian military regime, at the
>very time that there was an unsuccessful international struggle to save
>Siro-Wiwa from execution, Jim and his fellow _Living Marxism_ adherents
>pursue a bizarre political logic which puts them unequivocally on the wrong
>side of central issues in African politics time and time again. To this end,
>arguments are marshaled which are nothing more than the conspiracy theorist's
>mishmash of isolated facts taken out of context, distortions of facts, red
>herrings, conclusions of most dubious 'authorities' without any supporting
>argument and fantastic speculation, ungrounded by any credible evidence.
>
>Let us start with the easiest issue: Jim seizes upon my recommendation of
>Philip Gourevitch's magnificent book, _We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We
>Will be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda_, to suggest that this
>was the source of all my information on the subject, and that the weight of
>available evidence suggests a different conclusion. I hold to my original
>proposition, that if one is to read one book on the subject, Gourevitch's
>text is surely the best. But unfortunately for Jim, in the age of the
>Internet all manner of information is readily available for anyone who wished
>to seek it out, and even a most cursory search engine inquiry will rapidly
>show that virtually every credible body which has investigated the Rwandan
>genocide has come to the conclusions I originally put forward here: that it
>was a genocide, organized and pursued by a state and party of extremist
>racist Hutus, and conducted against Tutsis and non-racist Hutus, and that the
>major world powers either did nothing to stop it (the US) or even intervened
>to protect its perpetrators (France).
>
>This is the conclusion of two reports of the United Nations, one commissioned
>by UN Secretary General Annan and the other authored by the Canadian social
>democrat Steven Lewis, and of the report of the Organization of African
>Unity; it has been supported by a report of an International Panel of Eminent
>Personalities [former Presidents of African states and leaders of UN bodies],
>and the results of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda. It is the
>findings of reports by Amnesty International, by the Human Rights Watch [the
>encyclopedic _Leave None To Tell The Story_], and by the London based African
>Rights. It is the message of the American Physicians for Human Rights and of
>the French Medecins San Fontiers; it has been substantiated by the reports of
>the International Steering Committee of the Joint Evaluation of Emergency
> [...]

-- James Heartfield

Great Expectations: the creative industries in the New Economy is available from Design Agenda, 4.27 The Beaux Arts Building, 10-18 Manor Gardens, London, N7 6JT Price 7.50 GBP + 1GBP p&p