Chris Burford's Comments

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Oct 8 16:04:24 PDT 2000

Leo Casey wrote:
>Since the rule is invariable and absolute, analysis of the concrete situation
>is anathema: just apply the rule. If one were in a debate open to
>investigating what actually happened in Rwanda, it would be easy enough to
>point out that where was a UN force in Rwanda at the start of the genocide,
>that they were fully knowledgeable about the plans for the genocide,
>reporting them to their superiors, and the and that they were ordered to do
>nothing. All the US had to do was move to have the UN force act, and to
>provide it with necessary support. After all, the forces of the Hutu genocide
>and the government were so weak and disorganized that they were defeated by a
>relatively untested RPF guerilla army in a matter of weeks -- but not until
>one million were dead. But under this rule, we can never criticize the US for
>inaction.

Sadly, what you write here displays your inability to put two and two together and arrive at four.

As I have been saying in several posts, the U.S. government has been supporting Paul Kagame & the RPF all along. The U.S. government had a good fortune. The Hutu massacres of the Tutsis gave it a great excuse of presenting Kagame & the RPF as a righteous & legitimate power to rule Rwanda & invade Congo. Had the USA decided to use the UN forces instead of the RPF, the UN peacekeepers would have done what they did in Somalia. The U.S. government chooses among indigenous forces, UN forces, NATO, mercenaries, its own military, etc. (or a combination of some or all of them) depending on occasions.

Yoshie