American Arab Anti Discrimination Committee

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 7 11:27:02 PDT 2000

>Yesterday (Fri., Oct. 6), we had a demonstration in Columbus, Ohio
>against the Israeli massacre & repression of Palestinians. The demo
>was organized by a local group Coalition for Palestine, and about 200
>people came. The anger and frustration of diasporic Palestinians
>(against Israel, against the U.S. government, against the unjust
>compromise made by the Palestinian Authority, against the local
>police) boiled over, and the protest was very militant (the local
>news programs, however, gave only 5-10 seconds to the event).
>
>Any news of protests elsewhere?
>
>Yoshie

[You bet. See story from today's NY Times below. I encountered this demonstration while walking from my office to Penn Station last night. It was quite impassioned and, I believe, unprecedented for New York City.]

Times Square Marchers Protest Killing of Palestinians

By Amy Waldman

Several thousand demonstrators gathered south of Times Square during the evening rush yesterday to protest the killing of dozens of Palestinians by Israeli soldiers in recent days and what they characterized as blind American support for Israel.

They said they wanted Americans to hear of their pain and to question Washington's financial support for a government that, as one protester had scrawled on a sign, uses "missiles against rocks." They said they wanted to force elected officials and candidates for office to acknowledge their political power.

On countless posters they hoisted the photocopied image of 12-year- old Muhammad al-Durrah in his father's arms, fatally wounded in the crossfire in Gaza between Israeli and Palestinian forces.

In the Mideast, the death toll from eight days of violence rose to 77 yesterday. The fighting began after a highly publicized visit by Ariel Sharon, the Israeli right-wing opposition leader, to a holy mosque in the Old City of Jerusalem. Palestinians say the visit was a challenge to peace. Israeli officials say the Palestinians used the visit as a pretext for an uprising.

Yesterday's protest in Times Square showed how the Mideast situation is touching New York City. Over the last week, the police have reported several possible bias attacks linked to the renewed tensions, although local Arab and Jewish leaders have taken pains to urge people to avoid violence.

Yesterday's protest was largely peaceful, although two people, Nael N. F. Msallam and Mahmoud Abedalgader, were charged with reckless endangerment and public disorder, said Officer Guy Braun, a police spokesman.

Marchers chanted "We're Muslims, we're Americans and we vote," a message Mason Mohamed, a 24-year-old college student born in Yemen, said he was particularly eager to send to Hillary Rodham Clinton, the Democratic candidate for Senate from New York.

"I don't approve of Hillary Clinton backing up Israel just to get votes," he said. "She doesn't know Arabs, Muslims vote. I do, and I'm not going to vote for her."

To express sorrow over children killed in the Mideast violence, children were brought to the rally. They held flowers, sat under police barricades, and pressed forward to share their thoughts. Several said they would not forget the image of Muhammad slumped in his father's arms, an image shown frequently on television and in the nation's newspapers this week.

"From the inside, I feel very bad; the kid who got shot, I feel awful," said Diana Awawdeh, 10. "I felt someone was shooting part of my heart."

Diana and her brother had come with their mother, Abeer Awawdeh, 35, a homemaker and mother of six, from Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Ms. Awawdeh, a Palestinian, said, "We want Clinton and Albright to announce on TV that they are standing with us," referring to President Clinton and Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright. "Especially Clinton: he is hiding from us."

She and her neighbors and their children had crowded by the dozens onto the train to ride to Manhattan. The point, she and others said, was to show solidarity with Palestinians and unity to the world.

Yusef Al-Abad, a 28-year-old aeronautical engineer, said: "Every Palestinian has a goal in their lifetime to eventually go back to Palestine. We want to show Israel that we will unite. We will unite one day soon in Israel, just like in Times Square."

[end]

Carl