the tears of Sawicky

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Fri Oct 6 07:57:00 PDT 2000

> Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:18:16 -0500
> From: "Peter K." <peterk at enteract.com>

(me)

> >Two things: those 'cooler heads' are also people whose policies
> >we don't like. Example: Cheney - oil, military pork, supporting
> >whatever nasty regimes his bosses find useful.
>
> Hello Barry. Good point. I put the scare quotes up to suggest that
> the cooler heads - Greenspan; not Cheney, but clones of his - will be
> running things regardless who wins. Just imagine if screwball is in charge
> when a major crisis goes down. I'm still voting Nader (granted Gore
> supposedly has Illinois locked
> up. Reportedly Bush is pulling money out of the state to focus on Florida.)
> In other words, I'm not letting the fear (the fear of having a moron like
> Bush in
> office) get to me. Not one of my better posts.

If I thought that Michigan was safe, I'd be voting Nader, and urging others to vote for him, as well.

> >Second, Reagan didn't seem to suffer from opposing labor. Why
> >should Bush? Especially as 90% of the assault can be done in
> >indirect ways, such as judicial appointments, clauses buried deep in
> >1,000 page congressional bills, NLRB appointments, Dept. of Justice
> >prosecutions, etc.
> >
> >Barry
>

> I think labor's a little fiester now than it was under Reagan. (From what
> I've read, I was only 18 when Bush Sr. was elected.) They were slow to
> get the point - plus there was Kirkland and the old guard. Thomas
> Geoghegan, see below, agrees with you that Bush wouldn't engage
> in a full-on assault of labor.

It is, I agree. But so weak that winning any local struggle is still considered a significant event, worthy of celebration, rather than the norm.

I read the nation article, and it has some good points. The problem remains that a Bush administration would pack the judiciary with 100% anti-union judges. Combined with a GOP Congress, there'd be a large number of laws passed to restrict union activity, both directly and indirectly. This would give anti-union forces ammunition for decades.

I don't know, but would guess, that the GOP judges would be much more accepting of appeals to federal power for the purpose of smashing unions.

Barry