Prez Debates - Round 1

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 6 11:40:06 PDT 2000

On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 22:54:52 -0700 (PDT) Dennis R Redmond <dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> I'm actually trying to write an article on Neon Genesis: Evangelion,
> which'll deal with the whole Japanese anime scene.

Be sure to let us know how it goes... I would also recommend thinking about Princess Mononoke or Ghost in the Shell... which are two of the anime films that actually made it to mainstream Toronto theatres. I've been thinking about writing something on this myself... although I wasn't quite sure where to start. I've been able to recognize some of the imagery through my rather limited familiarity with Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism and Shinto... but a great deal of it is lost on me. If I'm not mistaken, Princess Mononoke is actually a not-so-subtle critique of "western" industrial imperialism with an mythological-environmental twist...

ken