Determinism

Patrick F. Durgin pdurgin at acsu.buffalo.edu
Mon Oct 9 09:34:16 PDT 2000

Thanks for this. &, well, I'm *also* interested in *historical* materialism, which sounds fuzzy re: my interests. To clarify, the point is to wade around in the most disparate theories of determinism & indeterminism in philosophy (political, metaphysical, physical, aesthetics) as a way of figuring extreme left artists like Joseph Beuys and Jackson Mac Low. So, I think my approach is novel, which seems, at this point, rather fuzzy, even (or especially) to me.

Anything else up yr sleeve? Patrick

----- Original Message ----- From: <JKSCHW at aol.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, October 09, 2000 8:56 AM Subject: Determinism

> In a message dated 10/8/00 9:47:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> pdurgin at acsu.buffalo.edu writes:
>
> << 1) The core philosophical texts of 'Determinism' are ... ? >>
>
> Jesus, it's been a long time since I thought of this stuff. In early
modern
> philosophy there is de la Mettrie's Man a Machine; Hume discusses the
> compatibilist line. Kant's practical philosophy is a prolonged attempt to
> wriggle out from under the implications of hard determinism. In modern
times,
> John Hospers wrote a detense of hard determinism, as has, more recently,
Ted