SPAM EVERYONE YOU KNOW!

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Oct 10 14:17:40 PDT 2000

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/1/13824.html Spam a friend for Dubya! Bush campaign mounts email assault By: John Lettice Posted: 08/10/2000 at 10:39 GMT <...> "INVITE YOUR FRIENDS - It is also critical that you invite your conservative friends to become eChampions themselves. All they have to do is go to http://www.echampions2000.com and sign up. Takes about 30 seconds. That’s it! Feel free to send them an invitation now! Just copy and paste the following section of this email and send it to as many friends as possible!" (our emphasis)

There's an opt-out at the bottom of the message, which is signed by RNC chairman Jim Nicholson. According to the RNC eChampions privacy policy: "The RNC will not sell your email address or other personal information to an outside, un-affiliated organization or any unauthorized third parties... All signups for email communications and other features of our Web site are voluntary. We give you the opportunity to opt-in and we give you the power to opt-out of email communications." Ahem? ®