"Exercise Found Effective Against Depression"

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 11 09:28:27 PDT 2000

>... I was
>able to read Smith's *Wealth of Nations* at a time when I was more or less
>paralyzed with depression. I read for an hour a day six days a week while
>peddling an exercycle....
>
>Carrol

Sounds punishing to me. But if you must mix peddling with the classics, you might try Burton's "Anatomy of Melancholy," which I must admit I haven't read but comes highly recommended by the notoriously depressive Samuel Johnson as "the only book that ever took him out of bed two hours sooner than he wished to rise."

Carl