Brad on Mark Weisbrot

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Wed Oct 11 17:13:58 PDT 2000

The IMF doesn't have the legal authority to lend to anyone other than sovereign's, and as Lance Taylor has argued, time is of the essence; "finance supplied only on the basis of negotiated conditions and released only after compliance with them is NOT liquidity."

Sure would have been nicer if the money was just dropped from airplanes, at least demand wouldn't have disappeared, and the banks could have been disciplined by consumers.

Ian