HB-1 visas and labor control

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Oct 11 18:27:11 PDT 2000

Perhaps is already known to everyone else, but it seems there is a second side to HB-1 visas and labor control. They don't only diminish workers' power indirectly by slackening labor markets. They also seem to tie workers to firms more directly. I found this out by accident when the law firm that employed me as a sidearm broke up. Half the lawyers and auxilliaries went to a new firm; half were left to shift for themselves, and figure out whether the firm could reconstitute itself without its chief rainmaker, or whether they should seek greener fields elsewhere. One in the latter group is young Australian fellow I really like, full of skills and personality and energy, and, I would have a thought, in prime shape to profit by the whole affair. But no, he explained to me gloomily. This firm had signed off on his visa; he'd be there to turn out the lights. But I don't understand, I said. We have two Aussies and a Kiwi at our new firm; clearly they have nothing against signing off on visas. And he said that was entirely different. Signing on as the first stop is a doddle. But signing for a transfer between firms is a paperwork nightmare than no one will undertake. So although theoretically a skilled worker on an HB-1 visa is free to move, in truth, he's pretty much guaranteed to stick with the firm for the duration. Which might be another reason why high-tech firms are so keen on importing them.

Michael