everything's really ok

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Oct 12 08:35:00 PDT 2000

Brad DeLong wrote:

>Consider, however, a Mexico that did *not* have access to the U.S.
>market. Given the rate of increase of Mexico's labor force, what
>would the labor market look like if exports *had not* risen from $61
>billion in 1994 to $150 billion in 2000?

All other things being equal, it's better that Mexico have access to the U.S. market than not. But why should we accept the other things being equal? What would be best for Mexicans is an internally rather than externally oriented development - housing, schools, infrastructure, clinics, real industrialization rather than the maquila sort.

Doug