debates

Seth Ackerman SAckerman at FAIR.org
Thu Oct 12 13:43:23 PDT 2000

Wasn't it amazing? I had the debate on in the background while I was getting ready to go out last night, I wasn't paying attention to it. But I almost got whiplash when Al Gore started talking. Clearly someone in the Gore campaign has flipped a switch to its previous toggle position -- the populism is GONE.

When Lehrer asked the candidates what they would do to help the uninsured non-elderly, Gore blurted: "I'm against a government-run system." He then went on a five minute tangent about how he's reinvented government, the federal workforce is the smallest in years, I'm against big government, etc. And, oh yeah, I'd expand CHIP.

What happened?

Seth