Revenge of the French Fries

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Thu Oct 12 20:58:01 PDT 2000

Actually Carroll, I didn't write the report and neither did my wife. The information came from one of the best medical journals in the world. It goes some ways towards building up a body of data that refute diet fads promulgated by cranks.

I have no idea what superstition means; nor after your pathetic attempt at flame-bait, what radical intellectual means. However, if you're one, I'm not. Grow the fuck up.

Ian

Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

> PARIS - Low-fat, high-fiber cereals trumpeted as health aids in

fact appear

> to encourage growths in the colon and rectum, according to

research in the

> Saturday issue of The Lancet.

The "full article" is not very full, but the relevant paragraph

is as follows:

"Of the 552 patients who completed a follow-up colonoscopy three years

later, at least one adenoma had developed in 16 percent of patients in the

calcium group; the rate was 29 percent in the fiber group and 20

percent in

the placebo group."

Does anyone on this list have the remotest idea of whether, in

reference to

the occurrence of adenomas, the difference between 16 percent and 29

percent is significant?

Does anyone know whether adenomas are more or less apt to become

malignant with this or that diet?

Does anyone on this list want to seriously claim that they know one

fucking more *usable* fact about malignancies after reading this

report?

I wonder how many people die, commit suicide, ruin their lives, lose

their health in one way or another because intelligent persons with

no medical training have passed on bits and pieces of "research" into

phyisical or mental health to them?

Before the recent exchanges on depression this post would not have

caught my attention. But I am beginning to think that one of the most

dangerous superstitions among radical intellectuals is that their radical

politics make them experts on medical matters. "Challenge Authority"

fat-headed new radicals proclaim with buttons. It is perhaps the most

dangerous political slogan ever coined.

Which authorities??????

Carrol