everything's really ok

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Fri Oct 13 02:27:25 PDT 2000

Right on, Doug. About five years ago, when I last had a sense of Mexican maquiladores and other EPZs, which are the driver of exports (plus the 1994-95 currency crash), I recall that the internal linkages to the rest of the economy were (aside from labour inputs) around 2%; i.e., 98% of inputs were foreign sourced. Where's the "development"?

Patrick Bond (pbond at wn.apc.org) home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094 South Africa phone: (2711) 614-8088 work: University of the Witwatersrand Graduate School of Public and Development Management PO Box 601, Wits 2050, South Africa work email: bond.p at pdm.wits.ac.za work phone: (2711) 717-3917 work fax: (2711) 484-2729 cellphone: (27) 83-633-5548