Modern John Brown: Herbert Aptheker

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Fri Oct 13 07:37:36 PDT 2000

I cross-posted a bit on the Radosh/Aptheker flap to a fellow I know -- a historian with impeccable radical credentials and activist background, who shall remain nameless. Here's what he said:

"Max-- Both sides are wrong, in my opinion. Radosh has written some fine books (including the Rosenberg expose) and does deserve a job teaching history somewhere. But he's also taken up the cudgels of a neocon polemicist (most recently damning the whole history profession for an interview in the Journal of American History with Herbert Aptheker) and can't give up a mania for proving that the CPUSA was a monstrous fraud from start to finish (which is incomplete history at best). Let's move on... "

mbs