Genovese

Fri Oct 13 09:12:13 PDT 2000

American slavery was capitalism. The slaveowners sold to the capitalist market.

CB

>>> JKSCHW at aol.com 10/13/00 11:14AM >>>
Correction: extending the Gramscian analysis to American slavery.

In a message dated Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:11:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time, JKSCHW at aol.com writes:

<< I cannot censor the use of any term, but if you think "racist" is a scientific term, you are deceiving yourself--it is a slur, even when it is true. If you were to read Gevonese or understand Gramsci, or even to read what I said about them, you would understand that to say that slaves "consented" in a Gramscian sense, as a general rule, is not to say they were happy under slavery. Moreover the fact that not all racism takes the form of explicit avowals of racial inferiority does not mean that someone who denies racial inferiority, like Genovese, is racist. Finally, Gramsci does not limit his notions of capitalsim--for one, he applies them expressly to the ancient world and theRenaissance, and even if he did, Genovese's genius was in extending them to capitalism. [oops! I mean US slavery.]

Do you write your briefs to the court this way, Charles?

--jks